Locating our water pipes and sewers

If you’re building on land, then it’s a good idea to identify whether there are any of our pipes in the ground first. Any damage to our pipes is an offence under the Water Industry Act 1991.

Get maps of water mains and sewers

We have maps of our water mains and sewerage network. 

We will provide you with a plan at a scale of 1:2500 based on the x and y co-ordinates provided.

We can provide it in the following sizes:

A4 (297 x 210 mm)

A3 (420 x297 mm)

A0 (1189 x 841 mm)

How much will it cost?

There are several services we offer to help you locate our water pipes and sewers:

If you’d like to purchase a map:

  • Our plans can be provided in three different sizes, A4, A3 and A0, and they are £6.60 each.
  • Water and sewerage plans come separately at £6.60 each.
  • To apply online you’ll need a valid debit or credit card.

If you’d like a CCTV survey of a sewer for a standard residential property (where the sewer diameter is less than 225mm), the charge is £178+VAT.

If you would like us to locate a water main we may be able to provide an indicative trace free of charge. We will only be able to do this where the material of the water main can be detected by our survey equipment. This service is therefore generally only available if the water main is metallic.

Where it is not possible to trace a water main by above ground methods it may be necessary to undertake trial holes. The cost of this investigation is dependent upon the site location along with the type, size and material of the asset. As every survey is unique our engineers must assess your individual requirements so they can price as accurately as possible.

To request a survey please contact PlanandProtect@dwrcymru.com.

As a not for profit company, our charges are based on the cost of delivering the service only.

For more information on our charges, visit our schedule of charges here.

Important to note

For some areas, we aren’t the correct organisation to ask for public water and sewerage plans.

  • In terms of public water plans, you’ll need to contact Hafren Dyfrdwy for the following areas:
    • Heswall
    • Neston
    • Whitchurch, Shropshire
    • Chester
    • Wrexham
  • For public sewerage plans you’ll need to contact Severn Trent for the following areas:
    • Parts of Ledbury
    • Worcester
    • Knighton
  • If you live in these areas or are interested in obtaining a plan for properties within these areas, contact us and we will be able to help with any queries.
  • Our maps don’t show where properties’ private connections join our network.
  • As we adopted private lateral drains as part of the 2011 transfer, many aren’t plotted on our maps.
  • Sewer traces are strongly recommended prior to excavating or building.

Extending your home?

It’s our job to collect surface water and wastewater from homes and businesses across Wales and parts of England. And to do this we use our vast network of sewer pipes, over 30,000 km of them in total - that’s enough to stretch to Australia and back!

Our sewers run under the ground all over our operating area, in streets and gardens, fields and land. So, if you’re building an extension, chances are there will be a sewer pipe nearby.

If you plan to build over, or within three metres of one of our water mains, sewer pipes or lateral drains, you’ll need to let us know. You cannot start work until we’ve consented to your application. However, please note that we won’t allow you to build over or near to any of our pressurised sewerage mains or water mains.

Find out more here.

Diversions for larger builds

If you’re working on a larger build and are interested in diverting our water mains or sewers in order to improve that land, then you’ll need to apply for a diversion.

The cost is £2,000+VAT per application, which will then be deducted from the final charge once the work has been carried out.

Important note

  • In line with the Water Industry Act 1991, we have a duty to consider all reasonable diversion requests.
  • However, a diversion which would mean increased operational costs, or that the water main or public sewer would be unusable, inaccessible or see its performance reduced would typically be considered unreasonable.