Diverting, altering or abandoning a public sewer

If you want to improve or develop land that you own, and the public sewerage would likely stop or hinder your development, then you have the right to request its alteration or removal. However, this does not apply to any sewers on a public highway or road.

If you aren’t sure how to fill out the form or have any questions, take a read of our guidance notes.

How much will it cost?

  • The charge for this service is £2000+VAT per application, which is to be paid at the time of making an application and is non-refundable. You can pay this using a valid credit or debit card.
  • Once we’ve completed the works, we’ll then deduct the £2000+VAT application fee from your final bill, so you’ll just have to pay the difference.

Important note

  • In line with the Water Industry Act 1991, we have a duty to consider all reasonable requests for diversion.
  • However, a diversion which would mean that the public sewer would be unusable, inaccessible or see its performance reduced would typically be considered unreasonable.