Adopting proposed sewerage systems

If you’re building a new home or development, you probably want to connect to one of our sewerage pipes so that we can take away your wastewater to treat, clean and return to the environment. This is called a sewer connection.

If you are applying for a new sewer connection and the sewer is outside of your property boundary, or it serves more than one building, then you’ll need to:

  • ask us to enter an adoption agreement with you first before building
  • build what is called a ‘lateral drain’, which will connect your property to our sewer

You can identify whether the sewer is outside or inside your property boundary by visiting our sewer connection page here.

For single properties, our guidance notes can be found here.

For multiple properties, our guidance notes can be found here.

Once you’ve taken a read of the guidance notes and are comfortable that you meet our guidelines, give us more details on your development via this application form. This application form is also known as a ‘section 104’ or ‘s104’ application.

One of our team will then be able to offer you help and advice.

How much will it cost?

For the charges of this service, please take a look at our schedule of charges.

Regulation to be aware of

Don’t forget

  • As well as asking us to adopt your new sewerage system, you will need to apply for a sewer connection.

Sewer requisitions

Sometimes your home or site has no way of draining to a public sewer due to the land between the site and the sewer being owned by a third party. If the third party won't give you access to the land, then you can also formally request (requisition) a public sewer and/or lateral drain from us.

Our specialist engineers will be able to take you through the whole process, from designing the sewer through to construction.

Interested in making an application? Fill out all the details here and one of our team will be in touch.

If you aren’t sure how to fill out the form or have any questions, take a read of our guidance notes.

How much will it cost?

  • The charge for this service is £2000+VAT per application, which is to be paid at the time of making an application and is non-refundable. You can pay this using a valid credit or debit card.
  • Once we’ve completed the works, we’ll then deduct the £2000+VAT application fee from your final bill, so you’ll just have to pay the difference.

 Don’t forget

  •  Even if you are requisitioning a public sewer from us, you will still need to apply for a new sewer connection.