Diverting, altering or abandoning a water main

If you want to divert, alter or remove water mains or apparatus on land that you have an interest in or own, we’re your team.

If you want to improve or develop that land, and the water mains or apparatus would likely stop or hinder your development, then you can request its alteration (also called diversion) or removal.

If you aren’t sure how to fill out the form or have any questions, take a read of our guidance notes here.

How much will it cost?

There are two charges related to this service:

An initial application fee

This is an upfront non-refundable fee of £2,500+VAT, to be paid on application, using a valid credit or debit card. Once the works have been completed, we’ll then deduct the application fee from your diversion cost, so you’ll just have to pay the difference.

A diversion cost

Based on the amount of work necessary to divert the water main, this charge varies.

If you’re a council or highway authority, you may be able to apply for diversions under the New Roads and Streetworks Act.

For information on our charges, visit our schedule of charges here.

Important note

  • In line with the Water Industry Act 1991, we have a duty to consider all reasonable requests for diversion.
  • However, a diversion which would mean that the water main would be unusable, inaccessible or see its performance reduced would typically be considered unreasonable.