Thinking about building a new site but still in the early stages? As the saying goes, the early bird catches the worm. No matter how early in the process you are, contacting us as soon as possible will help us establish whether our water and wastewater infrastructure can support your new site. 

If you aren’t sure how to fill out the form or have any questions, take a read of our guidance notes here.

How long will it take?

  • One of our dedicated expert team will then be able to offer help and advice around your new site. We will respond to your enquiry within 21 days.
  • The advice we provide you will then be valid for 12 months and it will help us inform our response when it comes to us being consulted on your planning application later down the line by the local planning authority.

How much will it cost?

The charge for this service is £71+VAT per application, which is to be paid at the time of making an application and is non-refundable.

This will provide you with information on whether our assets can support your development. In order to provide this service we will require any relevant information regarding your development including any proposed drainage strategies.

You can pay this using a valid credit or debit card.

For information on our charges, visit our schedule of charges here.

Before you dig

  • Something you’ll need to think about when digging up any land is whether it contains any of our water mains or sewers. Damaging any of our networks can lead to legal action against those who caused the damage, and if you want to build on top or near our sewers then you’ll need to ask our permission.

If you’re building a larger development in Wales (10 dwellings+, 1000m2+ non-residential floor space or site area of 1+ hectare)

  • While our pre-planning service is optional, for larger developments in Wales you are legally obligated to consult with us as set out in schedule 4 of the Town & Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (Wales) (Amendment) Order 2016.
  • There’s no charge for this service, as it’s a statutory requirement. However, we do recommend applying for our pre-planning service before consulting us under there procedures, as it will help to identify any potential issues before you submit your planning application.
  • You can find out more information within our guidance notes.

Have you thought about sustainable drainage?

  • All new development of more than one building or a construction area of 100m2 or more in Wales will require consent from the sustainable drainage system (SuDS) approval body (also known as a SAB) for any new SuDS features, according to schedule 3 of the Flood and Water Management Act 2010.
  • SABs are delivered by local authorities across Wales. Here’s a handy list of local authorities in our operating area – we’d recommend contacting them directly and asking to speak to their SAB team.

Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council

Bridgend County Borough Council

Caerphilly County Borough Council

Carmarthenshire County Council

Ceredigion County Council

City and County of Swansea

City of Cardiff Council

Conwy County Borough Council

Denbighshire County Council

Flintshire County Council

Gwynedd Council

Isle of Anglesey County Council

Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council

Monmouthshire County Council

Neath Port Talbot Council

Newport City Council

Pembrokeshire County Council

Powys County Council

Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council

Torfaen County Borough Council

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Wrexham County Borough Council

  • Before you submit a pre-planning enquiry with us, we recommend you first speak to your local SAB to establish if a surface water connection to the public sewer is the most appropriate way to dispose of the surface water.
  • More information on this can be found within our leaflet.

Don’t forget