Building many new properties

If you're building many new properties, here's a round up of all the services you might need from us during the build.

If you're building multiple properties on a site that will have a new road, then you'll probably need a new water main.

Most new development sites which have a new road need a new water main, which we'll then connect to our existing network. The new main will serve the site and each property will then be connected to the new main via their own individual service pipe.

You’ll need to:

  • Apply for a new water main here.
  • Apply for new water connections to each property here

You’ll most likely also need new sewerage to take waste away from the site.

You’ll need to:

  • Apply for new sewerage connections to each property here if there’s no adoption agreement in place.If an adoption agreement is in place then multiple sewer connection applications aren’t needed.
  • We will enter into a legal agreement with you to adopt these sewers provided they are designed to current industry standards. To find out more about this, visit our page on adoption.

Any new connection to a public sewer will need our approval. Even if you are re-using an existing sewer connection, we still need to approve it. If we haven’t given our consent, then you’re breaking the law.

New fire sprinkler water connection

  • This is only relevant if you are building a new property or converting an existing property in Wales.
  • In 2011, the Welsh Government implemented the Domestic Fire Safety (Wales) Measure making fire sprinkler systems mandatory in all new domestic properties. Find out more here.

Sustainable drainage

  • This is only relevant to new developments of more than one building or a construction area of 100m2 or more in Wales.
  • These new developments will require consent from the sustainable drainage system (SuDS) approval body (also known as a SAB) for any new SuDS features, according to Schedule 3 of the Flood and Water Management Act 2010, before planning permission is granted.
  • Find out more here.

Don’t forget

Before you dig

  • If you’re building on land, then it’s a good idea to identify whether there are any of our pipes in the ground first. After all, any damage to our pipes is an offence under the Water Industry Act 1991.
  • To find out whether your land contains any of our pipes, click here.