All new houses and flats in Wales need fire sprinklers
Since January 2016, all new and converted houses and flats now need to have fire sprinkler systems installed.
This is Welsh Government legislation, and is detailed in its Domestic Fire Safety (Wales) Measure which you can read in full here.
What do you need to know?
- If you’re developing a new building or site, all your buildings should have fire sprinkler systems.
- This regulation only applies to domestic or residential buildings, and not buildings used for commercial purposes.
- Once you’ve designed your fire sprinkler system, we will then inspect it and make sure that it meets regulation (Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999).
- We can provide a larger 32mm connection with an electro-pulse meter when requested. This is the typical option selected where the fire sprinkler designer has advised for you to install a direct mains-fed sprinkler system.
- We can’t guarantee the constant availability of water, flow or pressure required for such systems and that these aspects must be considered when designing the sprinkler system. We operate a minimum operational pressure of 1.5 Bar in line with current regulation.
Want to know more?
- Our guidelines for developers provides detail and FAQs on the sprinkler system connections.
- Still interested in more detail? Contact these two organisations: